DING DONG, where's the party?

Saturday, May 20, 2006

So my mom is going to visit me for the first time since I've moved to Southern California. Not in the 6 six years when I lived in Riverside did she feel compelled to visit and hey who could blame her. But come June, she will be here for 4 days and 3 nights. I am excited but at the same time a little scared, weary, nervous, and more nervous. For one thing, she does not know that boyfriend and I have broken up (and still cohabitating, which on a side note is the premise for the upcoming Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn movie, sort of) and I do not know if I should tell her or go on with my charade (which btw is the premise for the movie The Wedding Banquet, sort of, minus the gay and pregnant overtones). I dread with a passion the tirade I will get from her about how I'll probably never meet anyone else and how I will be an old maid and concerns that I might be a lesbian. For some reason my mom has always had a fear that I harbor gay tendencies ( don't ask me why, that is best saved for another blog). But then on the other hand she might look favorably on this situation because that means I have no reason not to move back to San Francisco once I'm finished with grad school (after I live in New York, of course) and come live with her or her come live with me. Yarg. I always want to be honest with my mom but more often than not, it's just much easier telling a couple of white lies. Even worse is the fact that this breakup will be totally new to her because I never give any indication that things are less than stellar with us. Lately, I've been having to make up outings and activities to tell her so she won't get suspicious. Ugh, so bad, I know.

But on a positive note, I am very proud or will be proud of my mom once she actually makes it to L.A. I hope to God she doesn't end up in Fiji or something but to her credit she did fly by herself all the way to Thailand for her brother's funeral but for some reason, I feel like her taking the BART and the AirBART shuttle to Oakland Airport will be an even greater accomplishment. Plus, she has to deal with the idea of having an e-ticket. She is very weary of not having an actual, paper ticket to hang on to.

On another positive note, I will be going to the 20th Annual Bug Fair on Sunday at the Natural History of LA County and trying to also go to Thai Cultural Night later that afternoon (don't ask me why it's not actually at night) at UCLA sponsored by UCLA Thai Smakom. It was very serendipitous that I even found out about this Thai event. I missed my bus this morning so I had to take the Culver City bus that drops me off at Ackerman which means I have to do more walking to get to my part of campus but it also means that I get to peruse the happenings at Bruin Walk (or whatever they call that area) which is much more active and busy than North Campus. Anyway, I was walking and I noticed a table manned by Asians and a sign that said Thai something or other so I walked over there and a girl asked if I wanted to buy Thai iced tea to which I declined because I noticed the sign for Thai Cultural Night. She was very excited that I asked and said it was free but I had to get tickets now from CTO (Central Ticketing Office) and I sort of hesitated and she asked if I had to go to class and I sort of didn't respond because I was actually meeting a friend for lunch and she repeated, with urgency, (and sorta bugged her eyes out at me) that I had to get tickets now so I backtracked and went to CTO and got tickets. Whew. Needless to say, I really have to go to this thing because I made the effort to get tickets and I hate wasting effort. Plus, maybe I 'll actually meet a cool Thai person like myself though I highly doubt it.
--------------------------------------------------------
Holy mother of crap, I hate Best Buy. What a lameasss godforsakin store. Damn. I returned something that I bought from Bestbuy.com at the Best Buy store in Westwood and the smug prick told me I had to mail my item back so I grabbed my packing slip from his hand and showed him the line that said I could return it at a store. Ugh. What a loser. Then he got a call from his boss and he said and I quote "I'm like so swamped over here in returns. Get someone else to do it. " Are you kidding? Swamped? It was me and a girl behind me waiting.
So another person comes over to help me and she tells me she credited my Visa and my gift card and she says I'll need my gift card to redeem the credit. Great, of course I had to throw away the gift card after I used it. I mean that's not crazy right? Why would I keep a gift card that has no money on it?
So I get home and call Best Buy customer service and the person on the other end is definitely on the other end of the planet which I don't mind as long as they are properly trained to help me which they weren't plus my phone was having major static and pressing the channel buttons was not helping and after being passed along to the third person, that person said he couldn't hear me so I ended up screaming into phone and finally hanging up.
Oh the humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home