How hot was I today, you ask? Well, let me tell you. I was as hot as a hooker in church. On Sunday. Easter Sunday. Mind you, that still isn't a complaint. Merely a keen observation.
I have a proclivity to obsess over things, fixate if you will. My current obsession is college basketball. I Am Charlotte Simmons, which I'm reading, takes place at Dupont University, a school with similar characteristics to Duke. Tom Wolfe is really an excellent writer if he can make something as alien to me as basketball interesting and captivating. Not only does he get into the physicality of the sport but he also delves into the racial quagmire that is college basketball. I'm not completely in the dark though. I've had my share of ESPN and PTI thanks to living with a boy and UCLA was in the Sweet Sixteen which meant I watched a fair amount of the games. I’m going to cease including quotes from the book because I’m probably violating some sort of copyright law but I will say that Wolfe does a fine job of depicting life via the eyes of a college sports star.
I guess this will be my sports entry…I know the Yankees are a force to be reckoned with these days but weren’t they kinda sucky when George worked for them on Seinfeld?
The girl at work from North Carolina went to UNC and she says she spent days camped outside the gym waiting for tickets. She said this was the norm and luckily baby blue looked really good on her. She also said that UNC allotted spaces for people from the “mountains” to attend the school on scholarship and a lot of them had never seen hot water from a pipe. Huh.
There are so many things I want to see and do before I have to go back to “Cali”. One of them is finishing the New York Times Monday Crossword puzzle. I’m not even being greedy. Monday is supposed to be the easiest one. A girl at work says people on the train from Queens race to finish it before they get into the city. For me, Monday’s puzzle takes all week before I give up and say “to hell with it”. I’m not exactly sure what defines crossword etiquette but I’m pretty sure I’m not supposed to google every clue. Thus said, does anyone know what “_ _ _ _ et the books” is? The clue being “Did accounting hanky-panky, to a housekeeper?” and it should be something like “cook the books” (thanks Arthur).
I’m also hoping to see:
-BODIES…The Exhibition (just found somewhat discounted tickets online)
-Jersey Boys (2006 Tony Winner of Best Musical)
-The History Boys (2006 Tony Winner of Best Play)
New York is on the cusp of a severe summer storm. Really, never a dull moment.
2 Comments:
i'm going to sound like an asshole, but i did this monday's crossword, and i finished it before the 45 minute ride home from work was over. that answer is 'cooked the books', the t you have there now is an error.
i think what helps me is thinking like the crossword puzzle people, like what would the editors put here?
By
lisa, at 10:33 AM
Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»
By
Anonymous, at 11:02 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home