DING DONG, where's the party?

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I want to eat my cake and complain about it too!

So it's only taken me about nine months working in UCLA Music Special Collections before finding something "musical" to look into for my own personal interest. Everyday, I come in and I'm surrounded by sheet music from the Silent Movie Era; I sit at the computer and I can see a framed photograph of Ray Charles hanging on the wall; I can walk back and rummage through scripts from the Carol Burnett Collection, and I know there must be some Grammys sitting around somewhere...but it was only until I watched Manhattan this weekend and fell in love with the score by Gershwin that I finally took advantage of my employment in the music library. I've checked out The Gershwin Years and through the UCLA library website, I have access to Naxos Music Library where I can listen to "Rhapsody in Blue" over and over again for free. Yea!
I've never been very "musical" and by that I mean: I cannot sing (99% sure I am tone deaf), I cannot play a musical instrument, and I do not possess one ounce of rhythm whatsoever. I've never really been interested in classical, jazz, or any such musical genre but don't get me wrong, I love music. It's just that my taste and knowledge of music is cursory. I know what I like and most of the time, it's what everyone else likes.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that this past summer can really be immortolized as the "Summer of Nina". Before this summer, I think I've only been experiencing life at fifty percent. Like I've been walking around with one eye (and ear) open. I thought going to library school would turn me into a scary hermit who resides in the basement stacks but instead, it's opened the door to a world where I use phrases like "preserving cultural heritage materials" and I understand the importance of using an authoritative thesauri when creating a list of keyword search terms. So I guess what I'm really trying to say, and I'm obviously not saying it very well, is that I was never the kid who could draw /write /sing /paint /dance /study very well and I didn't know what to do with myself or what I could contribute to the world, but now I know that my job is "to put things away for later", as Jessica once said so succinctly and it turns out that this stuff I'm putting away is all very, very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home