DING DONG, where's the party?

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I had a very important decision to make today. Do I go for a healthy run or kick back with a beer, salami, and edamame? I went with the latter because I thought, what if I go for a run, trip, and break my leg? Why risk it when I can stay inside and enjoy the comforts of my empty apartment and the delights of salted, cured meat and the refreshing taste of a lager beer straight out of Phuket, Thailand purchased at Trader Joe's? Ahhh...good choice Nina.

I started my internship at USC today. My official title is "metadata analyst" (fancy, yes) and my duties include "cataloging" digital anatomy images. It's quite nice. I've added the words tibia, fibula, and metatarsul bones to my already vast vocabulary. It's also quite nice taking in the antics of the USC med students on their lunch breaks. There was a group playing volleyball, a group watching them, and one Doogie Howser character yukking it up in his white coat and stethescope. I swear he was like 14.

I also had two of my three classes yesterday and I'll be damned if I'm not actually excited about them. (!!!) One class is information systems analysis and design. I'll be damned if I even know what that means but I like Phil and Chris who are team teaching the class. My other class is descriptive cataloging. Luis is adorable and super cool. I figure since I'm in library school, I'd better take at least one "library" class although subject cataloging, taught next quarter, is when I would learn about the Dewey Decimal Classification System and Libray of Congress Subject Headings (better known as LCSH). Factoid: Did you know that Melvil Dewey was an avid, if not crazy, spelling reformer? He is the one responsible for the American spelling of catalog and not catalogue and even dropped the "e" from his first name and wanted to change his surname to "Dui". Oh, those eccentric library folk!

Ah, and geekmysta Wes had this to shove in my face. I'll be damned if I don't LOVE IT!!!! Freakin Apple and their genius for design.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home