Foggy San Francisco
I'm back home and blogging at the Blue Danube coffee house on Clement, which is blocks away from my apartment. On previous visits home, I would go to the Richmond branch library next door and use the computers for an allotted thirty minutes but now that I'm armed with my laptop, I thought I would seek out the WiFi spots around the neighborhood. I'm not sure what the etiquette is at these coffee WiFi places; I bought a medium house coffee. I feel like that should buy me a few hours of internet time.
It's interesting being at home this time around. I'm seeing my neighborhood in a whole different light. It isn't just Chinese grocery stores and Asian restaruants. If you look close enough, there are places around here for the white folks/18-34 crowd. For example, Pizza Orgasmica, literally around the corner from me, has an awesome happy hour with $3.50 Long Islands. Then there's a pub a few blocks down, a bar with live music, and of course, my new favorite coffee place that attracts all the non-Chinese residents of the neighborhood. They like playing Modest Mouse here...
I'm not sure what it is about cities that put me at ease. I think it has to do with the skyline. I really enjoy looking up and seeing large buildings set against a blue sky. New York has this and so does San Francisco. L.A, on the other hand, has only blue skies and I think it makes me queasy. When I'm walking around L.A., I feel as if there's no reprieve from the sunshine. Barf.
I have to admit I'm a little self-conscious blogging in such a public venue. I keep sneaking glances at people near me to make sure they're not watching what I'm doing. I think I'll stop here.
It's interesting being at home this time around. I'm seeing my neighborhood in a whole different light. It isn't just Chinese grocery stores and Asian restaruants. If you look close enough, there are places around here for the white folks/18-34 crowd. For example, Pizza Orgasmica, literally around the corner from me, has an awesome happy hour with $3.50 Long Islands. Then there's a pub a few blocks down, a bar with live music, and of course, my new favorite coffee place that attracts all the non-Chinese residents of the neighborhood. They like playing Modest Mouse here...
I'm not sure what it is about cities that put me at ease. I think it has to do with the skyline. I really enjoy looking up and seeing large buildings set against a blue sky. New York has this and so does San Francisco. L.A, on the other hand, has only blue skies and I think it makes me queasy. When I'm walking around L.A., I feel as if there's no reprieve from the sunshine. Barf.
I have to admit I'm a little self-conscious blogging in such a public venue. I keep sneaking glances at people near me to make sure they're not watching what I'm doing. I think I'll stop here.

1 Comments:
hey nina, lemme know when you have time to get together, perhaps this weekend? - my bf lives around clement, so we can meet up at blue danube?
By
lisa, at 11:23 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home