DING DONG, where's the party?

Saturday, August 19, 2006

"I'm single because I was born that way." - Mae West, 1967

I think the universe is trying to tell me something, well, a couple of things. The first involves June Miller and her relationship with Henry Miller and Anais Nin. So when I was in New York (sigh) I saw an ad for a play or some such thing chronicling the sexual affair between the three of them. Then a few days ago at work (UCLA Special Collections) I notice that there are boxes in the reading room from the Anais Nin Collection. Then, I come across a page in my Jane magazine (Heidi Klum issue) entitled "Be your own muse in the boho spirit of June Miller" that instructs me on how to use makeup and parfums to transform myself into aformentioned boho spirit. So is this some sort of foreshadowing? Am I going to be involved in an illicit love affair? I sure hope so.
I think it's also worth mentioning that UCLA Special Collections has the Henry Miller Collection which includes a disturbing life-sized wooden statue of Henry Miller with talons for feet.
And there's even a Seinfeld connection. It's the one where Jerry finds out he forgot to return a book to his high school library and it's The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller.
--------------------------
Speaking of Jane magazine, there's a new book out called bitchfest that includes an essay titled "Pratt-fall: Ten Things to Hate About Jane". The authors accuse Jane magazine of being "under the guise of uncritical self-acceptance and distaste for exercise regimens" when they are (supposedly) just another magazine telling women they suck and need to change. Mmmm, I definitely agree that there are things about Jane that are contradictory. I even sent an email berating them for having Paris Hilton on the cover and suggesting instead someone like Tina Fey but I also appreciate how they included a librarian from New York Public Library in their section of cool women under 30 (or something like that). But anyway, this bitchfest book is interesting and I found it on the new acquisitions truck in Special Collections. I really love that our Rare Books Librarian is awesome enough to have bought it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home