DING DONG, where's the party?

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Hate Politics

I'm very blue over Bittergate. If you don't know what I'm talking about, what rock have you been hiding under? SIGH. There are so many thoughts rolling around in my head that I hesitate to attempt to articulate any of them. I hate that SF is referred to as the "elitist epicenter". I've never thought of it like that but I guess elitist is just a less nicer way of saying yuppie which I have used in reference to SF before but always in a tongue-in-cheek sorta way. I feel that I should read "What's the Matter with Kansas?" or at least read the reviews on it. Bittergate actually comes at a very significant time for me because lately all I've been thinking about is why I am the way I am and Stuff White People Like has something to do with it and so does living in New York. Why is it that I must buy my food at Trader Joe's? Why do I think everyone should drive hybrids? Why do I love Apple products? And most importantly (ack), how do I feel about all this? Living in NY means living in a very super hyper realized state of everything. You're more aware of the disparity in everything and I feel guilty all the time about what I have and who I am and how I'm seen. New York, especially Manhattan, is nothing like the rest of the country and neither is LA or SF, three large American cities that I've all lived in. I have white people guilt and I'm not even white. I guess it's elitist guilt. And the scariest part is that I'm not sure I like who/what I am anymore or at least I'm beginning to question it all. Not having money is a big part of it. This is gonna sound trite but I've realized that I can get buy without having a lot. I don't buy new clothes anymore. I shop at the 99 cent store. I only buy what's necessary because that's all I can afford. The only thing I'll really shell money out for is food so I guess I'm a food elitist, a foodie... I don't know where any of this is going but I just felt the need to get it out there. BLAH.

So anyway, here's some of what I've been up to more or less.

This is a fried MacNCheese ball at the Chip Shop in Park Slope where Ellen is now settled in. High five for Ellen now being a New Yorker!!! Well in BK anyway. =)

The ball opened.

In the foreground, chicken strips and fries. In the background, fish and chips.

Anne's shepherd pie.

Fried twinkie.

I forget what this was called but it was a melange of berries.

Ah. The most exquisite, elitist bowl of $14 ramen in NY! At Ippudo. This was crazy delicious. It really was like liquid pig.

Cherry blossoms!

Mets vs. Brewers at Shea. We won.

Thai temple in Elmhurst Queens. Yes, we are even in Queens.

Trekked out for Thai New Year and free food.

Thais being Thai.

Anne and the reclining Buddha.

I got a haircut and paid an elitist (ok, I'll stop) amount for it. But it's cute no?

Will have to go back when it's less crowded.

1 Comments:

  • wow... quite the depressing blog post. .. Feel you about the money stuff though. Sucks. But... i realized you haven't put up a pic of yourself in a while. Miss your face. Love the haircut.. muy cute.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home