DING DONG, where's the party?

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

License to Ho

I got the first of my HPV vaccines today. For those of you who don't know, HPV is the abbreviation for human papillomavirus, of which there are more than 100 types. Certain types such as HPV Types 16 and 18 cause abnormal cervical cells and cervical cancer. HPV Types 6 and 11 can cause genital warts. And no I did not get the vaccine because I've been busy hoing around (trust me, it's the exact opposite). I decided to get it so I can start hoing around. Just kidding. But seriously, I couldn't ignore the facts, which are:

-genital HPV affects both women and men
-anyone who has any kind of sexual activity involving genital contact can get HPV - intercourse isn't necessary
-many people who have HPV may not show signs or symptoms, so they can pass the virus on without even knowing it
-the CDC estimates that 80% of women will have had gential HPV by age 50

Plus I read an article in my Jane magainze about a girl who died from cervical cancer who was only 28.

So basically the vaccine I got today was Gardasil made by Merck which protects against HPV Types 16, 18, 6, and 11. Gardasil is very expensive and you have to get the vaccine in three stages (today, then in two months, then four months after that). It's about $130 per shot and I don't even think most insurances offer/cover it. Plus it's only really effective for girls ages 9-26. The student health center at UCLA just got the vaccine seven months ago and RN lady told me the girls have been coming in droves to get it. Luckily, I met my insurance deductible when I had toe surgery so it's not that expensive for me. I don't want to be the voice of reason so you can also read more about HPV on the CDC site. And if you insist, you can also read the wiki entry on it.

And that concludes Nina's public health service annoucement for the day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home