DING DONG, where's the party?

Friday, May 18, 2007

Single and fabulous question mark

There's a lady named Anne at my internship that I really like. She's at least 75 years old and like all elderly people, she volunteers at a multitude of places to keep herself busy. I asked her today if she had any kids and she said no, she's never been married. I asked her why and she said that there was a man that she was serious about but he died and she never got over it. I didn't press any further. She said she was always consumed by her job (she was a social worker and worked with Latino gang members) and she just never worried about getting married, that it would happpen if it happened. I found her independence refreshing but it got me thinking. She was probably in her mid-twenties during the late 50s to early 60s and it was probably the "fad" to state your independence and not get married. But I feel like these days, women can do whatever they want. We don't have to get married. We don't have to have kids. We can have high flying careers and be a Miranda, Carrie, Charlotte, or Samantha. That said, it seems that now that we're given the choice to get married, and no one is forcing us to, we all want to anyway. It's sorta like reverse psychology. Tell us we don't have to get married, make us think it's our own idea, and we'll do it. Blah. And of course it doesn't help that, by all practical and realistic means, there's a natural deadline if we want to have kids. So I guess what I'm saying is I feel a little resentful/worried/bitter/anxious about finding someone that I like that likes me.

Like Anne said, the problem wasn't that men didn't like her, she just didn't like them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home